Abhyasa and Vairagya

>> Monday, December 13, 2010

So I subscribe to a yoga listserv which sends out weekly videos.   Most of them are instructional guides on how to come into a particular pose, but this week's was on the philosophical concepts of effort and detachment.

Annie Carpenter Discusses Abhyasa and Vairagya (Effort and Detachment): TerraFlow Video 29 from YogaEarth on Vimeo.

I'm really comfortable with these ideas, but they tend to be in conflict (at least in my head) with some of the Unity principles that I follow.  Focus on the good.  Choose to think of the desired outcome, and that will call it into existence.   (A little clarifying piece:  I mean that what we focus on is our reality.  And not because well call it forth out of nothing (though I believe we can), but because we are expressing that reality as though it is there already.  It makes no difference whether it has manifested or not, because we are manifesting the consequences as though it has.)

I'm not quite sure these concepts can be reconciled--how to live with equanimity, and how to bring into expression the outcome I desire.

2 comments:

orphansparrow December 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

"I'm not quite sure these concepts can be reconciled--how to live with equanimity, and how to bring into expression the outcome I desire."

in general, that whole "the secret" mentality really gets on my nerves. BUT, i also kind of believe in it. so i know what you mean i think, about it seeming conflicting.

i think christians tend to explain it this way....they reconcile this conflict by "living in the spirit". that way it's not up to you really. it's about trusting god in passion or in stillness at every moment. . and if you're doing that for real, you cannot make a mistake, so there is no conflict anymore. when you need to live in a way that accepts all things as equal, you can, in a place of peace and trust. "resting in god". but when a desire comes up, because you are "living in the spirit", you can trust that the desire is still in the same flow of spirit that you were in when all was acceptance. so then the desire to manifest whatever, is the right thing - and you go with that through prayer. and then whatever answer comes, again, can be accepted as right. so there is no conflict. am i making sense? lol. i've felt like i was in this place before. the non-conflict place i mean. where, whichever way i went - effort or detachment, felt right, more than that - felt the same. and i think i understood what they mean by "living in the spirit". i don't know what actually goes on there of course, but i like it. ;)

I AM December 18, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

So much of 'The Secret' gets on my nerves too, mostly because I think they're really just fearful and want control. But also because I think there's something of substance to what they're saying, but they've got it all twisted. That whole, if you have doubt the size of a mustard seed it won't work, sort of thing...
I don't know.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP