Fruits Basket

>> Saturday, April 9, 2011

So I just finished the entire manga series, Fruits Basket, by Natsuki Takaya.  It was incredible.

The entire 13 Zodiacs plus Tohru, from the Manga


I've been holding onto [another] friend's copy of the Fruits Basket anime for a couple of years now, not really interested in watching it...then finally I gave in, and am so blessed for doing so.  The anime was so poignant & touching that I chose to read the manga (which is nearly always better than the anime)...all 23 volumes, in a week.  (How I managed to do that while having a 7 month old is beyond me :) )

The anime only covers up to around volume 7 or 8, which makes me wonder if it followed the manga, but interest waned or it took too long or something.  Maybe they considered doing a 'Fruits Basket 2' after the manga finished, but never finished the project?  Who knows.

The core folks, from the Anime


All though there are substantial differences, I was still impressed at how close they managed to keep the anime to the original vision.  Of course the manga is 'better,' but I really feel they created an anime with integrity.  I'm happy with it.

The core folks, from the Manga

Some things I'm thinking...

First, if you haven't read it, please do so.  Even if you don't read manga or 'comics,' it is really so very beautiful.  It's every bit worth spending time and money on.   I think Olympic Cards & Comics has the large 3-volume-in-1 sets.  If not, I'm sure they can order them for you.   I'm serious, and I don't recommend things lightly. 

Next, I think the story is mostly about two things:  parents, and endings.

Almost every person in this story has to cope with their relationship with their parents, whether it be abuse, them dying too soon, neglect, etc.  It also has a lot to say about the confusing feelings that happen because of our relationships to our parents.

It's about endings because they're all learning how to deal with change and loss.  They're dealing with the grief, the sadness, and even the relief that comes with it.  One of the most important messages, I think, comes from Kyo's line,

"It's all right.  Without the separation of this life...a new banquet can't start, right?"
...you probably have to read the manga to get how important that lesson is.  I had tears streaming down my face.


 

2 comments:

orphansparrow April 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM  

omg, how did i miss this????

brandy, i am SO happy you liked it! i knew you would. =))

i now own every single volume. i normally wouldn't spend money on such a thing, but a miracle happened, and i found every single one that i didn't already own at the goodwill one day. seriously weird, because i had random volumes, not in order. and at the goodwill they had all the ones i didn't. odd huh?

anyway, i knew you'd love it, and i'm so happy, because it really got into my heart so much.

<3 <3

I AM April 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

:)
I can't believe I never read it before!!! Thanks for writing about it, and recommending it to me <3 <3
It's really enriched my life~I know what you mean...it is really in my heart to.

Miss you :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP