This is my Olympia: Olympia Local Foods

>> Tuesday, April 5, 2011

March's [late, I know] installment of This is my Olympia is dedicated to an unlikely & lesser-known candidate:  Olympia Local Foods.

Sweet Signage


I first began using Olympia Local Foods when my family was recovering from some sort of flu-cold bug and I was fantasizing about groceries being delivered to my doorstep.  Wouldn't it be great?  Some way I could get local, healthy food without wasting energy I don't have, and without ordering out?  I'd heard a little about Olympia Local Foods (but not enough) so I decided to browse their website.

Olympia Local Foods is like a hybrid CSA-online grocery store.  Appealing to folks who want to support local, sustainable food sources, the company works with local farms and other businesses to provide direct-sourced goods.  Here's just a sampling of the many vendors who participate:


  • 8 Arms Community Bakery
  • Blue Heron Bakery
  • OlyKraut
  • Stiebrs Farm 
  • Pigman's Farm
And that's not even a quarter of the participating vendors!

Brant returns with the loot


Here's the essence of the procedure:

Each Thursday night the new ordering week begins.  Using an online shopping cart, customers fill their baskets with as much or as little groceries as they like.  Shopping is made easy, as the items are separated by subject (veggies, bakery items, deli, meat, etc.).  Each subject has an itemized list of what is offered this week (it changes based on what vendors have available/what's in season), along with the price per pound.  
At check out, you review your basket and pay with a card--standard for online shopping.  You are sent a confirmation email, along with a confirmation code as the receipt of purchase. The ordering period ends each Tuesday at 10am.  

Each order must be picked up the following Thursday between the hours of 3pm and 7pm at Olympia Wood Flooring Supply, located on the West Side of Olympia.


Some of the Loot
\
This model is so appealing for a number of reasons!  First & foremost (for obvious reasons) is that the model incorporates local vendors that support organic and sustainable farming/food practices.  

Second, the customer is in near-direct trade with the vendor.  This is important because I want to support these vendors directly!!  I want to participate in CSAs, but find that I can't afford the price (no matter how reasonable it is).  This model allows me to get what I can afford.  

And finally, sometimes I'm just not in the mood to deal with people.  I don't always want to cram myself like a sardine into the Co-Op, especially when the chance of me running into someone I know is near 100%.  And I'm not always sociable.  Especially with a 7th month old, sometimes I want to get my produce and get home to my family.  Thanks to Olympia Local Foods, grocery shopping doesn't always have to be social.  

I really appreciate this part of my Olympia...

For more information, please visit Olympia Local Food's website at http://www.olympialocalfoods.com

  

1 comments:

Celia April 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM  

Wow, what an awesome blog post! Thank you for taking the time to write about us! :) Celia & Tom

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP