Unity Service Notes, June 12 [archive]

>> Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm a little (okay, a lot) behind on the notes I wanted to share from Unity of Olympia services, so I'm going to try to catch up a bit.  

This entry's post is from Sunday, June 12 (44 days ago, holy crap), with guest speaker Rev. Marla Mason.  

I wanted to share it because it is essentially on the same topic as Rev. Sue Zeal Oliver's, which I posted about here, Walking the Talk of Faith.   I believe Marla's topic was called Moving from Fear to Faith.  To listen to it, you can visit Unity of Olympia's Audio page.

(As a side note, this is one downside to having perpetual guest speakers; they aren't aware of each other's topics...so there's the potential for repeats.  I know each guest has a different spin on similar topics, but it sometimes feels like there's no meta-topic, no through-line.)


There are some eternal, unchanging facts:

Faith Doesn't change.  God doesn't change.  Spiritual Law Doesn't Change.

What we put our faith in changes.

We dread fear--we try to avoid it at all costs, but it can actually be a tool.  Fear is positive, a motivator towards faith.  If you feel fear, this is good!  It means you've stopped relying on your coping mechanisms (or they've stopped working for you) and are now facing reality.  This is the first step toward manifesting your good in this life.  

When we feel our fear, it gives us the opportunity to focus on what we hope for.  This is how it happens:  We're uncomfortable in our fear.  We want to stop being fearful.  We start hoping for things to be better.  We picture what 'better' looks like.  It becomes brighter, more vibrant, more tangeble-seeming.  Our hope becomes a possibility.  

Focusing on our hope moves us toward using affirmations to move toward achieving our hopes.  Then we slowly move from Hope, to Faith.  Faith that what we hope for will happen.  

Marla's summing up:

Stop using our coping strategies, so that we can manifest our good.
Attention is the mechanism that calls forth our faith.  Coping shifts our attention away from reality.
The same thing that makes you sick will heal you.
If you don't have faith, borrow it.*  

*We'll go back to this concept in a future entry.

To learn more about Rev. Marla Mason, visit her website at www.marlamason.com.

2 comments:

orphansparrow August 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM  

oh, i love this brandy. really really a lot. it has proved so true for me many times, and i wish i could always be aware of myself "coping" with, instead of facing reality. =)

I AM August 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

Oh, good! It's hard because in some limited situations we might need our coping mechanisms. When Owen was first born, I needed to do whatever I could to cope, so I could be there for him at ANY TIME that he needed me. But there have been so many times when I used my coping mechanisms to not deal.

It's kind of like fight-or-flight, right? Some times it is useful, which is why it exists, but then we have anxiety disorders that have the response come up inappropriately.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP